- Gourmet Kosher Cooking - http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com -
P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef
Posted By elizabeth On July 19, 2009 @ 1:59 am In Weekly Recipes | 3 Comments
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup water
¾ cup dark brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 lb kosher flank steak or skirt steak
¼ cup cornstarch
2 large green onions
1. Make the sauce by heating 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
2. Don't get the oil too hot
3. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
4. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
5. Remove it from the heat
6. Slice the flank steak against the grain into ¼" thick bite-size slices.
7. Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angel to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts.
8. Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
9. Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
10. As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil)
11. Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking.
12. Add the beef to the oil and saute for just two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.
13. You don't need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later.
14. Stir the meat around a little so that is cooks evenly.
15. After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.
16. Put the meat back in the pan and simmer for one minute.
17. Add the auce, cook for one minute and then add the green onions.
18. Cook for one more minute and serve over white rice.
Article printed from Gourmet Kosher Cooking: http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com
URL to article: http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com/2009/07/changs-mongolian-beef/
Copyright © 2009 Gourmet Kosher Cooking. All rights reserved.