- Gourmet Kosher Cooking - http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com -
Lettuce Hand Rolls
Posted By elizabeth On July 5, 2009 @ 9:55 am In Weekly Recipes | No Comments
1 large head iceberg lettuce
½ cup sliced bamboo shoots
16 whole water chestnuts
8 dried Chinese black mushroom
¾ pound coarsely ground turkey or chicken
1 egg, lightly beaten
1½ tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tbs, plus 1tsp. cornstarch
2 tbs, dry sherry
½ cup chicken broth
1½ teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt
5½ tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup finely diced celery
1. Discard the outside layer of the lettuce and split the heat in half. Pee; away 16 to 20 of the largest leaf halves and place on a serving dish. Set aside.
2. Cut and chop the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts into very find dice, pour enough hot water over the mushrooms to cover. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes, then brain, squeezing to extract most of the liquid. Trim off the stems and chop the mushrooms into very find dice.
3. Combine the mushrooms with the bamboo shoot and water chestnut mixture and set aside.
4. Combine the ground turkey or chicken with the egg, soy sauce and 1 tbs. of the cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
5. Combine the wine, half the chicken broth, the sugar and salt and set aside.
6. Blend the remaining teaspoon of cornstarch with the remainder of the chicken broth and set aside.
7. Heat 4bs.of the oil in a work or skilled, and when almost smoking add the turkey or chicken mixture, stiring quckly and constantly to separate the bits of turkey or chicken. When the turkey or chicken is cooked, add the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, broth and sugar mixture and cook about 15 seconds, strring. (Can be made ahead up to this point – reheat before continuing). Stir the corn starch mixture to make certain it is properly blended and stir into the turkey or chicken. Cook, stirring rapidly, about 15 seconds. Add the celery and stir just until the celery is heated through. Add the remaining 1½ tbs. of oil, stirring to distribut it. This will glaze the dish.
8. Turn the dish out onto a serving platter and accompany the meat with the platter of lettuce leaves. To serve, let each guest help him / herself to a cold lettuce leaf, the cup of which is then filled with a spoonfulof the turkey or chicken. It is wrapped between the fingers, then eaten while the turkey or chicken is hot.
Article printed from Gourmet Kosher Cooking: http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com
URL to article: http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com/2009/07/lettuce-cups/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.printfriendly.com/print?url=http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com/2009/07/lettuce-cups/
Copyright © 2009 Gourmet Kosher Cooking. All rights reserved.