This is almost a rarity in the world of chocolate cakes — light and not overly decadent; perfect for anytime!
Makes 12 cupcake-sized snack cakes
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F . Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners or spray the pan with non stick cooking spray.
2. In a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, melt the chocolate with 1/4 cup of the oil. Once melted and smooth, remove from the heat. (Alternately, you can do this in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, then in 15 second increments, stirring well between each until smooth.)
3. In another bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup oil with yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla and almond extracts.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yogurt mixture. Stir lightly a couple times, then add the melted chocolate and stir until just smooth.
5. Divide the batter among the muffins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they feel barely set in the middle and a tester or toothpick comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before serving. Do ahead: These cakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for four days.