- Gourmet Kosher Cooking - http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com -
Mediterranean Grilled Flank Steak
Posted By elizabeth On January 10, 2010 @ 1:53 am In Shabbos Recipes | 1 Comment
by Chef Shaya
Flank steak is great for grilling because it’s not too expensive, and since it’s naturally a thinner cut of meat, it grills up quickly and easily. Flank steak also really lends itself well to rubs and marinades because of its shape and type of meat.
Yield: About 10-15 servings
1 Flank Steak (about 20 oz – 1¼ lb)
First Cold-Press Oil
For the rub:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
½ teaspoon cumin, ground
½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
½ teaspoon spicy paprika (optional)
1. Mix all the spices together in a small bowl, and ensure that they are evenly mixed.
2. Wash and thoroughly dry the flank steak. If it was frozen, make sure to completely thaw it out first (preferably overnight in the refrigerator). It’s important that the steak be rubbed dry before applying the spice rub.
3. Evenly coat both sides of the flank steak with the spice rub mixture, massaging it with your fingertips into the meat.
4. Lightly coat the outside of the spiced steak with some oil – you want it to be glistening.
5. Allow the steak to marinade in the rub for at least an hour, but no more than 3 hours, in the refrigerator.
6. About a half hour prior to when you’re ready to grill the steak, take it out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
7. Make sure your grill is nice and hot, and brush it with oil before you place the steak on the grill.
8. Let it cook for about 5-6 minutes, letting the grill marks form on one side.
9. Flip it once, and allow it to cook for an additional 5-6 minutes on the other side.
10. Remove the flank steak from the grill, and allow it to rest for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
11. Thinly slice, against the grain and on an angle, and serve.
Article printed from Gourmet Kosher Cooking: http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com
URL to article: http://www.gourmetkoshercooking.com/2010/01/mediterranean-grilled-flank-steak/
Copyright © 2009 Gourmet Kosher Cooking. All rights reserved.